The cake design is 100 % edible, with the exception of the wheels. All the accessories are edible with the exception of some of the little plaques and the billboard for the train station.
This project was labor intensive it is not the type of cake for a beginner to take on. .From the beginning, drawing out the diagram, to putting on the accessories I logged 32 hours. I documented some of the process in photos (below) and of course the finished product.
- large loaf pan 14" X 5" (batter capacity is 8 cups)
- cake board 44"X36" (very sturdy and covered) If using cardboard you would need at least 4 layers.I should have used plywood.
- wooden dowels to hold wheels in place
- small soft bristle paintbrushes (2 or 3 different sizes)
- airbrush (instead of airbrush you can use metal colored dust and paint it on)
- gold airbrush color
- silver airbrush color
- rolling pin
- 4 baked loaf cakes
- 6 lbs butter cream icing
- 5 lbs fondant
- M & M's
- chocolate chips or chunk chocolate pieces for dirt
- black licorice twists
- blue food paste
- red food paste
- yellow food paste
- black food paste
- corn starch for dusting the fondant
Keep on Baking!!! Fondly, DCRose