I enjoy doing Halloween birthday cakes especially. The child's cake can be devilishly cute and the adult cake can go from formal to outrageous.
This year I had a Halloween birthday cake that I especially liked and entered it in a contest. I will have to see how I do. I just loved the design and the simplicity of it. I hope you will too.
- First I lightly airbrushed the entire cake purple.
- Next with an edible food marker, I sketched out the house, trees, fence and grave stones.
- Using black butter cream icing, I outlined the house and fence with tip 3.
- I gave the fence detail with black butter cream icing using tip 5.
- To fill in the house details I used a small basket weave tip, 67.
- The grave stones are made with tip 5 and gray icing.Simply filling in the outline an flattening with your finger dipped in corn starch.
- For the moon I drew out the shape and filled it in with yellow food glitter
- The windows were highlighted with specks of yellow food glitter.
- The ghost and bats were made from fondant and cut with a bat and ghost cookie cutter.
- The writing was done in gray butter cream and tip 3
- The boarder around the bottom was done in white butter cream icing using tip 21 to resemble bare trees then airbrushed with black.
- To finish off the effect, I airbrushed the gate with gold paint and the rest of the highlighting was done with silver.
Keep on Baking!!! Fondly, DCRose